How to Decode Your Dreams
Dreams are often referred to as the window to our subconscious. They are where we live out our greatest desires and fears. If dreams are the key to inner wisdom and understanding, how do we begin to decipher them? Forget dream dictionaries, we’re here to explain how to start making sense of your dreams and why it’s important!
Where to begin: the first and most important step is to start recording your dreams. Do this regularly (every day if you can) and write down or voice memo everything that is fresh in your mind as soon as you wake up.
Follow these guidelines to start decoding your dreams:
- Record any images or fragments that you remember. If nothing comes up write ‘no dream to record’
- Examine feeling-tones. Our dreams are where we process thoughts and emotions we’ve experienced in our day. Did you feel scared, happy, anxious or relieved? How do these relate to your current emotional state?
- Identify any associations. What figures and symbols were most significant? What do they mean to you?
- Consider who appears. People we dream about (who we are not family or close friends) often represent parts of our psyche. What part of you are these characters representing?
- Look back at your dream notes regularly to identify reoccurring associations. Ask yourself: what you are not paying attention to in your waking life that this dream might be trying to expose?
Remember that you are the expert. Only you hold the key to your mind, so trust your inner guides. What secrets in your subconscious have you decoded?
Let us know how you get along!